Monday (Labor Day) McKenna had many loose diapers and her runny nose had seemed to get worse. I blamed it on teething, as she was happy and didn't seem sick. Throughout the day her diapers continued, with majority of them being blow outs! By her nap at 2:00 she had 5 bad diapers and had gone through 3 outfits!
After supper we gave her bath and started her bedtime routine. I decided to give her Tylenol. She took the first drop of the medicine and then threw up EVERYWHERE- all over Matt, the chair, my cell phone, and our computer. It was very scary. I won't go into details because I'm sure there are some weak stomachs out there!
We threw her in the tub quick again and then I called the nurse. She told us we were on the boarderline of needing to be seen. She had had 8 dirty diapers by then, we couldn't tell if she had been urinating (b/c every diaper was dirty except for one all day), and she had thrown up. Little ones can get dehydrated really fast and we were worried of this happening!
After talking to my sister and mom we decided not to take her in because McKenna was actually pretty happy all day, ate decently (not her normal pig out style, but still eating), and we thought maybe all the drainage had caused her to throw up.
Instead of nursing her I gave her a bottle so that I knew how much liquid she was getting. The bottle went down just fine. McKenna played for a bit and then I planned to take her to bed. For some reason I decided to give her some Gatorade (to get in some more fluids before I put her down). Well... what seemed like I good idea turned into a bad one real fast! She threw up EVERYTHING she had in her little stomach. Robby happened to witness it this time and he said he'd never seen anything like it. This time I was the one that was covered from head to toe. Matt stood up immediately, grabbed the diaper bag, and said "Let's go"! I looked at him and said, "I can not go anywhere like this!" (My bra was even soaked!)
We changed McKenna for the 6th or 7th time, I showered quick, and then we headed to Sartori. We hated to go to the ER, but that was our only option at 8:30 pm.
After a long wait for the doctor he told us she did not look dehydrated- thank goodness! He thought she had a virus that is going around like wild right now. He wanted us to give her some Pedialyte while we were there to see if she would keep it down. McKenna chugged it and about 5 seconds later I was soaked again... :) I was happy we didn't have to clean up the floor this time!!!
We waited awhile longer and then he decided we shouldn't give her anything more so that we could let her tummy rest. At about 10:30 we headed home- both VERY nervous. I told Matt that of course I was happy to be going home, but part of me was hoping he would say that we needed to stay. For those of you that have kids I'm sure you remember the first time they were sick, puking their guts out, looking at you like they are helpless... it is NOT fun!
McKenna finally got to bed around 11:00. We had to wake her up at 2 and 6 to give her more Pedialyte. At 2:00 we didn't even get 1 tsp. down before it came back up... :( At 6:00 we decided to start with 1 tsp. of water first and then Pedialyte. As soon as we started the Pedialyte she gagged and anything else that was left came back up. We were lucky enough that she went right back to sleep for us both times. I can't say this was the case for Matt or me.
At 6:30 I headed to school to write sub plans for the day. This is one of the downfalls of being a teacher! I made it back home about 7:45 to find Matt and McKenna up playing in the living room.
At 8:00 I called her doctor and they said no fluids or food for 3-4 more hours! She wanted to make sure her tummy was completely settled before we tried again. Doctor said that we would need to be seen if she threw up again or if she had 7-8 dirty diapers. By noon she had already had 5 so we were really nervous when it became time to start feeding her again. We used the medicine despenser again to give her some water and it stayed down!! Yeah! We also gave her ice chips. We soon found out she LOVES ice chips!
Matt went to work about 1:00 and by then we were feeling pretty good about how she was doing. My wonderful mom came over after school to stay and help out with her first feeding since Matt had to work late. I wasn't sure how I would do by myself if she got sick again!
The rest of the day ended up going just fine. We were so lucky that we only had to deal with the bad stuff for one day. McKenna really wasn't 100% until Friday of that week. Everyone had to keep reminding me how we feel after we've had the flu! We are also very lucky that McKenna was the only one to come down with it (knock on wood)! We're keeping our fingers crossed that she's had her turn now for the rest of the year!
No comments:
Post a Comment