Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Home Away From Home

We spent Martin Luther King Jr. weekend in Harlan visiting our extended family. Harlan is in southwest Iowa about 3 1/2 hours away. It's just far enough that we don't get there as much as we would like to! Both my parents grew up right outside Harlan so we are able to see both sides when we go. We weren't able to make it for Christmas this year due to bad weather, so we were anxious to get back so everyone could meet McKenna!

At times I wish we lived in Harlan. I did my student teaching at their elementary school five years ago. I absolutely loved living so close to everyone! In the spring of 2005 I actually applied for a job in Harlan. Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I would have been offered the job. I do know God has a plan for me and I guess living in Harlan wasn't apart of it!

One bonus of having to wait until January to see everyone was meeting our new cousin. My cousin Kara had her third baby December 30th. They also didn't find out what they were having so it was a fun surprise finding out that Cole Daniel had arrived! Kara's other two were born in October- Quinn on Oct. 17th and Kate on Oct. 19th. This helped us not finding out knowing that we would have both boy and girl clothes the right size. We washed up all her newborn boy and girl sleepers so that we were ready either way! Thank you Dan and Kara in advance for all the hand me downs!

Cole Daniel and McKenna Rene'- 10 weeks apart

I love this picture of their sweet little hands

So sweet

The weather was pretty nice Saturday afternoon- considering the winter we've had! The kids (little and big) we VERY excited to go sledding. There is a HUGE sledding hill at the town park. We stopped by for a bit to watch the kids. I wish I had a picture to show how far they had to walk back up each time!

Ella Grayce (3 1/2) loving the snow

Snowball fight with Matthew (4 1/2)

"Okay that's enough Matthew!"

Too much fun

Ella says Matthew is her boyfriend... xoxo :)

The sledding crew minus Dan and Quinn

Cousin Elizabeth

McKenna fell asleep on the floor amongst all the commotion. We now like to lay her on the floor with her pacifier and blanket and she falls asleep on her own!

Some of the cousins- Michael, Matthew, Daniel, McKenna, Julia, and Ella

Cousin Daniel

Cousin Matthew

Cousin Kate (2)

Sunday morning we headed to my Uncle Jeff and Aunt Cyndi's to see my mom's side. They prepared an AMAZING brunch for us with the help of my Uncle Mark and Aunt Deb. We enjoyed playing with Wii with cousins Cody, Chelsy, Richard, and Jesse while McKenna slept! My grandparents winter in Texas so we didn't get to see them. It's just not the same going to Harlan and not seeing grandpa and grandma. We aren't going to Texas this year on Spring Break so we won't see them until April. :( We are so thankful they were able to come up to Cedar Falls three times to see McKenna before they left!

On the way home Sunday we stopped in Ankeny at my dad's brother's house. McKenna got to meet Uncle John, Aunt Kathy, Cousin Andrew, and Cousin Hannah, as well as their yellow lab Lexie! Matt was able to watch his Chargers lose to the Jets while Danielle and I played Mario Brothers on the Wii!

Cousin Hannah

Ella was helping entertain McKenna while I changed her diaper. She's such a good helper!

What a fun weekend! Can't wait to see you all again soon!

No comments: