At 6:00 my alarm went off. I hadn't heard my alarm go off for months!!!!!!! What a terrible sound! For those of you who know me, I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE to hit the snooze. I like to set my alarm early so that I can hit the snooze two or three times.... sometimes four or five! :) This morning was different though. I only hit the snooze once and then popped out of bed. I have to say I was VERY proud of myself for this! (It helped that I had slept really well!)
McKenna didn't wake up until 7:00 or so. The tears didn't begin until I fed her. I was wishing I would have waited to put make-up on! I just looked at her thinking that our special time together was over. It was the worst feeling. I started thinking of all the things I'm going to miss when she's at daycare and I'm at work. It made me wish we lived in a cardboard box so that we could afford me staying at home with her.
At the same time it made me thankful for my job as a teacher. Being a teacher is the next best thing. My hours are great, I get the holidays off, and I get to spend a large amount of the summer off. I'm also thankful for where I work. I have so many great friends and colleagues that I look forward to seeing everyday. And the kids... I feel like I have 19 children- McKenna and my 18 students. They are MY kids and I care so much about them.
It also made me thankful for the 11 weeks we spent together. I can't imagine going back to work after 6 weeks. I feel very lucky to have been able to stay home with her for so long. (It helped having Christmas break tie into my maternity leave!) There are so many wonderful memories that were made during these weeks. Words can't explain how special each day at home was!
I'm also thankful for our neighbor Shannon. We are SO blessed to have her as our daycare provider. She is an amazing mother of four children and I know she is going to give McKenna the love and attention that I would give her if I were at home with her. Shannon's oldest three children go to school so it's just her four year old daughter at home with McKenna. Did I mention she lives two houses away?! Again, WE ARE SO BLESSED!
Back to Monday morning: After I fed McKenna I passed her off to Matt so that I could finish getting ready. I tired to pull it together but it was easier said than done! My goal was to get out the door by 7:50 so that I could make it to school by 8:00. I surprised myself again by being ready on time! I gave McKenna a quick kiss, telling her that I loved her and that I would miss her, gave daddy a kiss good-bye and headed on my way. (Matt takes her to daycare in the morning. I am SO grateful for this!) I tried really hard to only let a few tears slip out on the way to work- not wanting my eyes to be beat red! Once at school I had everyone and their mom ask me how my morning went. "Did you cry?" and "Was it hard?" were the most annoying questions!! What do you think?! Of course I cried and of course it was hard!!! I did appreciate the "Welcome back!" and "It's so good to see you!" comments. Once the kids came my mind was finally off leaving my precious baby girl. My day really did fly by. I have to pump at my morning break and also at lunch, so I felt like I was running from one thing to the next all day long. 4:05 couldn't have come any sooner. I was ready to head out the door as soon as the second hand reached the 12!! I survived my first day!!!
Each day continues to get easier, although I still wish I was at home! We've now survived two weeks- only 21 more weeks to go! :)
McKenna and Shannon on their first day together. McKenna isn't too happy because it was time to eat!

**As I was typing this post McKenna pulled her pacifier out of her mouth, extended her arm down to her knee, and then put her paci back in her mouth all by herself!! Go Kenners! :)

**As I was typing this post McKenna pulled her pacifier out of her mouth, extended her arm down to her knee, and then put her paci back in her mouth all by herself!! Go Kenners! :)
1 comment:
Proud of you sister!! You are a great teacher and great Mom!!!
Post a Comment