Monday, June 4, 2012

April

Our tulips and rhoendrum bush bloomed early this year due to the warm weather.  It’s sad that this beautiful orchid colored bush only looks like this for a very short time.  I attempted to take a couple pictures of McKenna in front of it, but she didn’t want anything to do with it!  I was amazed with my tulips this year.  The rabbits actually left them alone so we were able to enjoy them for a few weeks!  This year we had tulips come up that we didn’t know about in numerous places around our front yard.  It must have been the warm weather and early blooming season!

tulips

Daddy went to Spencer for a basketball tournament this month.  He was really excited because this is the tournament his college team went to every year!  Normally I don’t mind when he’s gone for the weekend (although I still hate sleeping alone!), but we had the day off from school on Friday because we had a built in snow day that we didn’t use!  That meant three full days of Kenna and I at home without daddy!

We began our day off together at Village Inn with Danielle and her girls.  Ella walked out to the car in the same outfit Kenna had on!

dayoff

After breakfast we went to the library to check out new books!  It was close to story time, so we decided to stay a bit longer than we had planned so that the girls could participate.  These are the days I wish I was a stay at home mom!  It’s so fun to be able to do activities together.  I can’t wait for summer!!

dayoff1

It was Ella’s turn to take Mr. Reader, the class bear, home.  She got lucky with a three-day weekend!  Mr. Reader joined us at the library!

dayoff2

Kenna and I then rushed to Subway so that we could pick up lunch.  Daddy had asked if we’d bring him lunch since we wouldn’t be seeing him until Sunday.  McKenna was more interested in running around daddy’s work than eating!

IMG_0914

Friday evening Kami and Alaina came over to hang out with us.  The girls have grown up so much and get along so well.  I love that Kami and I are actually able to sit and finish a conversation now! 

dayoff3

We made cupcakes together Sunday afternoon for her friends at daycare!

cupcakes

Matt and Danielle had a wedding in Omaha the weekend of the 20th. Since we were unable to make it to the Henry Doorly Zoo this fall, we decided we would go along so that we could check it off our summer schedule this spring!

 suitcase

The wedding was Friday during the day, so Matt, Danielle, and Lily left early Friday. We brought Ella with us Friday after school and stopped in Harlan to spend the night. The girls were great in the car. We stopped for supper right away at McDonalds. A man came up to us and told us how cute he thought our girls were and that he thought they looked just like their dad!! We ended up talking to him for quite some time. At one point Ella was sitting behind me saying, “But Kenna’s just my cousin!” We were too far into the conversation to let him in on that!!

We stopped for a potty break at Burger King and let the girls get red slushes.  They both drank the entire thing! 

(Pictures taken on my phone’s camera.)

slush

Saturday morning we loaded up the car and headed into town to meet up with my Aunt Jani and two of her kids. They had Lily overnight and were going to join us at the zoo too!

The girls were SOO excited to go to the zoo. They couldn’t wait to get there!  It was a little chilly right away in the morning so we started in the Desert Dome. This is not one of my favorite parts of the zoo and I’ll think next time we’ll skip it so that we have more time to everything else next time!

zoo

The penguins were so much fun to watch!  They seriously were putting on a show for everyone.  I was amazed at how fast they were!  Matthew and Ella kept teasing one penguin with their bag of chips.  The poor penguin kept following the bag wherever they would move it!

zoo1

The Henry Doorly Zoo has an incredible aquarium.  You can walk through and have sharks swimming over your head!  Every time something swam by Ella would tell me to take a picture of it!

zoo2 

The big cats were a big hit for McKenna.  When we saw the lions she said, “Look mom, it’s Lion King!”

zoo3

We stopped at the petting zoo while waiting for the train.  We only had time to pet some little goats!

zoo4

We took the train so that we could take a break from walking!  We were able to see most of the large animals from the train. 

zoo5

The babies were our FAVORITE!!  The baby zebra was born in February and the baby giraffes were born in March, ten days apart! 

zoo6

McKenna was DEVISTATED that there weren’t any elephants.  We had prepared her to see them on our train ride and when she got off the train she starting calling, “Elephants, elephants, where are you?!”  We’ve been told they are doing a new elephant exhibit, but no one seemed to know where the elephants were being housed now.  I actually felt bad having to try to explain to her that she wasn’t going to be able to see any.  I tried to tell her we would see some this summer at the zoo in Des Moines, but I’m not sure she understood! 

zoo7

Before we left we made a quick pit stop at the gift shop.  I’m that mom that lets her kid get a souvenir (although I only let her get books)! :)  Kenna picked out two cute books that will remind us of our trip to the zoo!

By the time we got back to the car it was close to 3:00.  Uncle Matt was staying in Omaha for work and daddy was staying in Omaha as well to meet up with a high school friend.  This meant Danielle, Ella, Lily, Kenna, and I needed a ride home!  It’s a good thing Jani’s van holds 8 people!  We were a tight squeeze with three adults, three big kids, and two little kids in car seats, but we made it work!  McKenna lasted about 15 minutes before falling asleep.  She was one tired girl especially since she’d been up since 6:15- thanks Ella! :)

Grandpa and Grandma invited the rest of our extended family over for supper Saturday evening.  The girls all put on a show for everyone.  Ella and Lily went to bed early, but Miss Kenna was up late because she didn’t get up from her nap until 5:30!!

Kenna LOVES Grandma Lile’s cookies!!  She kept going back to the tin for more!

gandgs

We ended up staying down at Uncle Jeff and Aunt Cyndi’s house.  It worked out really well to separate the girls.  The Garvin girls go to bed early and get up SUPER early, and the Lindgren girls go to bed late and sleep in!!  This is not a good combination when you are sleeping near each other!

Ella decided to take pictures (on my camera) when she got up Sunday morning.  I found this out when we tried to take pictures of the girls with Gpa and Gma before we left.  My camera wouldn’t take any pictures.  Weird… Then I looked down to notice that my card was full!!!  Ella seriously took over 40 pictures!!  I made a collage of my favorite ones. :)

gandgs1

Grandma made an amazing brunch for us, complete with her famous cinnamon rolls.  These rolls require her to get up with the birds so that they will be ready in time for breakfast.  She does this each and every time we visit because she knows how much we love them!!

gandgs2

We always have an incredible time in Harlan and absolutely hate leaving.  I have numerous memories of me crying as we pulled out of the dirt driveway and drove down the gravel road.  We have such a special relationship with our grandparents and we just wish we could see each other more! 

We helped Kenna’s best friend Jordann celebrate her 3rd birthday!  Kenna and Jordann go to daycare together and they are besties! 

jordannsbday

More from April:

McKenna is very particular where things go.  She spends a lot of time getting things set up just right.  One night I went in to find Ellie the Elephant and Barkers the Dog placed perfectly in the corners of her crib!

IMG_1144

McKenna LOVES to dance!  Lately she’s been making her stuffed animals dance with her.  She especially likes to dance nude after her bath!  You should see her, “I grab my butt” dance.  She grabs her buns and walks around in a circle on our bed chanting, “I grab my butt.  I grab my butt.”  Nice!

dancing

Anytime anyone sneezes McKenna will say, “Bless you".  She’s done this for many months now, but I’m not sure I ever wrote it down.  My all time favorite is when she’s in bed and if I sneeze or cough she’ll call out, “Bless you Mommy!”  If I don’t respond she continues yelling it, so I always call back, “Thank you Kenna!”  She then replies, “You’re welcome!” 

Kenna’s been getting out of the box when it comes to movies.  No longer are we watching Georgie every time she watches a movie!  Lately we’ve started “renting” a free kid’s movie for Kenna when we get one for us.  Normally it’s daddy’s job to pick up a movie for us, but now Kenna gets to go along and choose one for herself!  We’ve rented Berenstein Bears, Arthur, Tangled, and The Lion King so far!

We’ve continued to enjoy being outside in the beautiful weather.  I’m debating putting her big stroller away since she pretty  much refuses to go in it.  (Tear!)  My grown up 2 1/2 year old would rather walk or push her babies in the toy stroller!  I’m thinking my summer walks are going to consist of me and the dog this year!

No comments: