Saturday, December 5, 2009

Showered With Love

One of the reasons we chose not to find out the sex of our baby is because Matt and I both knew I would shop. For those of you who know me well, you know I love shopping for baby clothes. Matt could never figure out why I enjoyed looking at the sale racks at Von Maur! :) I was so excited when Ella was born because then I actually had a reason to buy baby clothes!!

I have to say am pretty proud of myself for not going overboard before McKenna was born. We had to buy a crib and dresser (with the help from both our parents- thank you!!) and I also purchased a couple pack of diapers. (I bought a large pack of newborn diapers- note to self: wait until to see how big the baby is before you buy newborn diapers. Our big baby didn't fit newborn diapers!!! I also didn't realize that they use size 1 at the hospital- they just fold them down!)

Last summer I went to a few neighborhood garage sales and bought a few bigger toys, a bouncy seat, and some girl clothes- they were just too cute I couldn't pass them up! (Two of my good friends had just found out they were having girls, so I knew I would have someone to give the clothes to if we had a boy.) I also bought a pink UNI sleeper/blanket set and a blue set at University Book and Supply- again knowing a couple girls and one boy we could give the other one too. We ended up giving the blue set to our friend Baylor Petrie. It was a perfect gift for the son of a former UNI quarterback!

We found after McKenna was born that we were in need of MANY things! We had received a few things at a family shower in August, but other than that we didn't have much! Matt and I have been overwhelmed with the generosity of our family and friends. The day we came home from the hospital we already had gifts and cards waiting for us. We were also given three more baby showers in the last month. I can now say we have EVERYTHING we could ever need and/or want! When asked what McKenna wants for Christmas I can seriously say NOTHING!!!!

I've posted a few pictures of our showers. Thank you again to everyone who helped and attended our wonderful showers!


Last Saturday one of Grandma Jeanie's friends, Cindy Peters had a shower for us. Matt's aunt Kathie, cousin Jamie, and her daughter Maddie drove over two hours to join us! It was fun having them meet McKenna for the first time!

Grandma Tami and our little sleeping princess

Great aunt Kathie and Grandma Jeanie

Cousin Jamie with cousin Maddie (5 months)

Lincoln (where I work) had a shower for McKenna and Jani a couple weeks ago. The girls are eleven days apart! Staci is one of the reading teachers at our school. We enjoyed being pregnant together along with one of the first grade teachers, Heidi. She also has a little girl who was born at the end of September. (Violet's been in previous posts!)

Staci and I getting ready to open presents!

My sister and friend Kami (along with the help of my mom and grandma) had a shower for us in November on Danielle's birthday!

McKenna with the Grandmas

We had six babies at the shower! From left to right:
Kami & Alaina Galles (14 wks.), Staci & Jani Wilkinson (2 wks.), Krista & McKenna (3 1/2 wks.), Jamie & Baylor Petrie (2 1/2 wks.), Alex & Jordann Oakland (6 mon.), and Katie & Maddox Svoboda (3 1/2 wks.) This was one of many attempts to get a good shot! My grandma actually got the best one on her camera!

Shot #201... kidding!:)

Goetz girls

I'm finding I don't have many pictures with McKenna. It's probably because I'm always the one taking the pictures!

Where's Waldo? I mean where's McKenna?! We have a tradition in our family that we set up all of our presents and take a picture with them! We were overwhelmed with all the wonderful gifts. Look at all that pink! I love it! :)

In August my dad's side had a shower for me in Omaha. Many of them went in together to get our stroller and carseat! Danielle and I put it together the night we got home! We kept it in the baby room until McKenna arrived. Ella LOVED giving her babies rides in it every time she came over!

Playing the famous "guess and measure the belly" game! Grandma Julie was being nice- it was too short!

The hostess Carol- my WONDERFUL aunt/godmother!
(We are holding the picture frame she gave me on my first Christmas. My mom was REALLY good about keeping special things from my childhood!)

My creative mom gave me my favorite books from when I was little for my gift. She also gave me my hospital hat and baby book! I made a goal to get the entire thing read before the baby was born. (My mom wrote something EVERYDAY for the first year!!) This was such a special gift. Thanks mom!

Three generations of Petersen girls- almost four!

I was watching Ella one day and she came out of the baby room with her baby in the stroller (completely strapped in), with the diaper bag, her cell phone, a bottle, a pacifier, and a few toys. I think she was practicing her big cousin skills!

I have to say I'm a bit sad thinking that wedding showers and baby showers are now over for me! I've looked forward to events like these my entire life. It's so hard to believe they are now here and gone! Everyone keeps telling me to enjoy the moment as time flies by. This is really good advice and I try to do it daily. I feel so blessed to be McKenna's mother. She is such an amazing gift from God. Matt and I are lucky to call her our daughter!

No comments: